Monday, July 30, 2018

Designer Challenge Day 1 31-2018

Welcome to our July Designer Challenge!  This week we received envelopes with similar/same items.  We each (Sue, Anna, and me) chose one of the items and Theresa chose two.  We then made cards using those items.

Here are our choices:




I chose the polka dot napkin, Sue chose the black coppery card stock, and Anna chose the white tag.

These are Theresa's choices for us:



We will be using these later in the week.  Unfortunately, Anna's cards are not available.

Here we go with today's cards!
This is Sue's take on the polka dot napkin!
 



Starting with the blue and white polka dot napkin, I had no idea what to do. Napkins are not something I often work with. It was an opportunity to stretch and try something new. I gently separated the two layers of the napkin. I was grateful that there was quite a bit of material, so if my idea didn’t work out, I could make a few more attempts. I thought that I would try to use an embossing folder with the napkin, backed with an A2 card panel for stability. I used the Cricut Cuttlebug Kitchen Weave embossing folder. I found that the napkin layer adhered itself to the card panel with the embossing. However, to ensure that they didn’t separate, I added some adhesive along the edges. I looked for something equally bold and graphic to add to the card. I found some red striped paper. I cut a 1.25”x5.5” stripe with it and adhered it, a little towards the bottom of the card. To complete the card, I stamped the “hello” from Paper Smooches Chit Chat stamp set and die cut the sentiment using CAS-ual Fridays Fri-dies Tag Buddies. I found a scrap of gold Stampin’ Up ribbon to complete the card. ~ Sue

Beautiful card, Sue!!!

Here is my card:



Wow.  Sue and I went two completely different directions!  That is what makes these challenges so much fun!  I started by adhering the separated napkin to a white card stock panel using Stick-It.  This is the easiest way I have found to work with a napkin.  No hot iron involved!  I then inked the panel with clear Versamark ink and applied Sticky embossing powder.  After heating I applied Diamond Dust embossing powder and heat set it as well.  Now my table sparkles!  I die cut the sea horse, the grass, the shell and the sentiment from scrap card stock pieces.  The sea horse, grass, and shell are from HOTP.  The "hello" sentiment is generic.  I adhered the panel to a light pink piece of card stock 4 x 5 1/4 in.  I then made a card base of bright pink.  I love the bright colors! ~ Gracie


2 comments:

  1. I love both ideas on using the napkins. Embossing gives it a new look and look at all the sparkle. I have a lot of napkins that someone sent me a long time ago so it looks like maybe now would be a good time to bring them out.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, what a great card using those polka dots!

    ReplyDelete