Thursday, October 6, 2016

Technique Thursday #34-2016

Technique Thursday calls for a faux metal technique.  One way of doing this is found here.

Faux Metal can make cards look very elegant as Robbie shows us -

..
This was a new technique for me.  It was a lot of fun.  All supplies are from Stampin’ Up.  I used the tutorial by Melissa Kerman for my Faux Textured Metal.  I began by wrapping a piece of Whisper White card stock with aluminum foil.  I then used Staz-On black ink and rubbed it across the foil.  I waited a few minutes to make sure it was dry.  I took my Petal Burst embossing folder and applied Versamark ink on the flat side.  Then I ran the card stock through the Big Shot using the embossing folder.  I cleaned my embossing folder right away so as not to damage my folder.  I then took the Copper Embossing powder and dumped it onto my card stock.  The powder sticks to the areas that had embossing ink on it.  It is random where it sticks but that is what makes this technique so fun.  Then using a heat tool, heat the embossing powder until it melts.  You need to watch carefully as it is sometimes hard to see if it has all melted.  You also need to be careful as the aluminum foil gets hot.  You now have your faux metal piece.  I attached the card stock using Tear – n – Tape to a Basic Black card base.  I used the sentiment from Thoughtful Branches  and stamped in Versmark and embossed with the Copper embossing powder.  I punched it out with the Decorative Label punch and mounted it to the card using dimensionals.  To finish off my card I used the Copper Foil sheets and the framelits to match the stamp set and cut out a leaf.  I added it using a glue dot.  Love this technique and it is easy so give it a try.- Robbie

Kimberly used a different technique than Robbie and so has a different look than Kimberly's.



Today's card is inspired by Jennifer McGuire.  I started with a piece of Neenah Solar White cardstock and taped off a rectangle as shown.  I then applied Wilted Violet Distress Ink with a blending tool.  For this technique to work, a good wet layer of ink is needed.  Apply perfect pearl powder with a soft brush.  The powder creates a beautiful shimmer.  Buff with a soft paper towel or cloth and carefully remove the tape.  I embossed the panel using Rhea Weigand's Dragonfly embossing folder.  The sentiment is a die from the SOA Young at Heart Collection and is silver text paper. I trimmed the white panel slightly smaller than A2 and adhered to silver text paper and added the sentiment.  - Kimberly

We will look at the various methods on faux metal on all the Thursday's this month, so try some yourself using the supplies you have on hand. - Denise





1 comment: