Thursday, February 12, 2015

Technique Thursday #2

Today's technique challenge is to color vellum.

I know your thinking that's not a technique, but it is.

There is some things to keep in mind when coloring on vellum.

  1. Color on the rough side of the vellum.
  2. Stamp on the smooth side of the vellum. 
  3. Give it time to dry! This is very important and inks sit on the the surface of vellum, so to keep it from smearing you need to give it plenty to time to dry.  It is better to air dry than heat set it at all possible.
  4. If using embossing powders on vellum, start heating from the opposite side.  This will ensure that your powder doesn't get blown off the vellum before it melts.
  5. Use vellum friendly was to attach it to your projects. Glue behind other elements or brads or eyelets are good examples.
OK, that's enough rules let's get to the projects.

My card today is a CASE (Copy & Share Everything) of a card that Catherine Pooler created exclusively for StampNation's 4th birthday party. Click the link for more details on StampNation.  
Click HERE to visit Catherine's blog.

Now let's get started...

First I took an 8.5 x 11 sheet of vellum and stamped my images all over it (on the smooth side) with Versa Mark Ink.  I then added my Stampin' Up White Embossing Powder and heat set (starting on the back, so as not to blow off the powder).


Then I flipped the vellum over to the smooth side and colored it in with Copic Markers.  


Then I used blending solution to smooth the colors (sorry no picture, I forgot to take one).

Then I cut up my vellum to make cards.

Here is the CASE of Catherine's card.

I used an embossing folder on the top of the white card base to add some dimension.  Glued the vellum only at the top where the ribbon would hide the adhesive.


Super simple but WOW what a statement. Keep in mind the embossed side is out so the colors are more muted as they are coming through the vellum.

Get out your vellum and your markers and start playing! You don't have to heat emboss the design either, just use a good quality pigment ink or StazOn ink to stamp them on. Remember to give it plenty of time to dry before touching it or turning it over to color on the back, so it doesn't smear.

Don't forget to upload your cards to the Flickr Gallery.  I want to see what you are creating based on the challenges.

Happy Crafting

Theresa



No comments:

Post a Comment