Friday, May 19, 2017

World of Watercolors - May Blog Hop


Welcome to A Year of Card Techniques Blog Hop where each month we feature a different card technique. We’ve assembled a team of card makers who range from new to advanced, so you’ll see a great variety of cards and ideas.
For May, we are venturing into the world of watercolor. There are so many watercoloring techniques available to us today; far too many to list here. But actions speak louder than words; so our team has worked with their favorite mediums to bring you lots of examples and loads of inspiration.
If you would like to check out our past technique hops, you can do that here:
We have an amazing sponsor this month, Jodie Park of Close to My Heart:

Please take a moment to check out the great products Close to My Heart has to offer. To visit Jodie on Facebook page, just click here.
And the awesome prize this month is:
We really appreciate feedback, so please leave a comment on each of the blogs in the hop today. One winner will be chosen from all comments on the hop as of May 26, 2017. The winner will be announced in our June hop; so be sure to come back next month.
And speaking of winners, the lucky hopper from last month is Golden Goddess Designs; picked by Random Name Picker. Congratulations! Please get in touch with last month’s sponsor, Wilma Payne at wpayne@email.com, by May 26th to claim your prize.
You should have arrived here from Amanda. If you're visiting here first, you might want to start at the beginning so you don't miss a thing and increase your chances of winning by commenting on each blog.
Three of the team have made multiple projects for this hop.

We begin with one of Gracie's

I really had fun with this challenge.  Imade several cards then had to choose which to show you.  I really like to watercolor images and for these I used watercolor pencils followed with an aqua pen.  - Gracie

Next up is one of Sue's

I started with watercolour paper and stamped flowers and sentiment from Altenew’s Adore You stamp set with Versamark, added gold embossing powder and heat set. To add colour, I used distress inks (stormy sky and dusty concord), smooshed on  an acrylic sheet and picked up with a water brush.  To complete the card, I matted it on a piece of gold cardstock. - Sue

One from Denise

I did a technique called mirror stamping for this card. I stamped the image with Versafine black ink on a red rubber sheet called gasket material (I bought mine at Lowe's in the plumbing department). I then laid my water color paper over it and rubbed to get the image to transfer. I then used a Stamp-a-ma-Jig to line the image up and stamp with the actual stamp on the top. I used Distress Inks with water brushes to water color the image making sure to dilute the colors for the reflection The stamp set is from Unity and is called Grey Skies Happy.I actually won a watercolor challenge with this card on the Unity Show and Tell Facebook page. I was so excited to win with something I made. - Denise

Another cutie from Gracie

I used Neenah bright white paper with very little water.  My daughter laughed at my rabbit.  She told me he is supposed to be white.  I told her he is - with shadows lol. ~ Gracie

Sue is back with another beauty
I started with watercolour paper, Altenew’s Floral Shadow stamp set and my MISTI.  I chose the stamp and placed it in the MISTI. I added colour, one at a time. Each time, I chose a colour, inked up part of the stamp, spritzed lightly with water and adhered to the watercolour paper. I did this three times, each time for each colour (distress inks – wild honey, sketch and twisted citron). The sentiment is from the same stamp set
and stamped using  Versafine Onyx Black ink. To complete the card, I matted the card on black cardstock. - Sue

A different watercolor technique from Denise
I tried something new to me called no-line water coloring. I stamped the image from a Unity Kit of the Month called Free Your Dreams (May 2017) with a light Distress Ink called Antique Linen on watercolor paper. I then used various Distress Inks with a wet brush to paint the image following the lines of the stamped image. I tore the edges and mounted it on a floral paper from a 6 x 6 pad by Crate Paper called Storyteller. Because these lines are so light, the tend to almost disappear as you paint them. It is a very loose look for my first time and I think I will have to practice some more, but I like the different look it gives you. - Denise
And a final one from Gracie

I used a large brush to make the blue stripes for the knome's background.  -Gracie
Now you’re off to visit with Lisa. Hope you had fun and thanks for stopping by. See you next month with another technique!
Card a Day Challenge Design Team
Here’s the full line-up in case you get lost:

16 comments:

  1. Bravo ladies! I enjoyed all the eye candy you supplied for us. Such a nice variety of looks and techniques...you are a real joy to visit along the hop. Thanks for joining us and looking forward to hopping with you again.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, ladies, I don't even know where to start. Each card is absolutely outstanding. There are some very talented ladies on this team! Denise, I must say that your reflection technique has me gobsmacked (that's a good thing, lol). It amazes me that you were first of all able to mirror the image (thanks for that tip) and secondly, able to color it to perfection with such a light touch that it actually looks like a reflection. Thank you so much for sharing your talent with us at A Year Of Card Techniques. It was a pleasure hopping with you.

    Sharon
    A Piece Of (my) Heart Blog
    **Make sure to visit my blog to grab some really great FREE Digi Sentiments.**

    ReplyDelete
  3. Holy moly! All so very different. I really enjoyed my "scroll" thru your post. I will say that the reflection of the girl with duck . . . awesome. Great hopping with you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You ladies were on a role. Congratulations, these are all wonderful projects. I love the all,...love the idea of tearing the edges around the water colored image and the shadow stamping with the gasket material super cute. You ladies did an awesome job. Thank you for being part of this hop and I am looking forward to hopping with you next month again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your team did a fantastic job on all their cards. I so enjoyed looking at them and reading of how they did them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, these cards are all wonderful! a very talented team you have. And go figure, a material from the pluming department. Gracie, I love your window card. So pretty! I really can't pick a favorite from these.

    ReplyDelete
  7. What wonderful work you all have shared with us. Such great inspiration! Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  8. absolutely lovely collection of cards! Gracie's are great!

    Alicia

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow - so many gorgeous cards! Sue, your flower colors flow together so nicely on both cards. I really want to try that technique you used with the MISTI and spritzing. Grace, you're so talented! Your painting is beautiful on every sample. And that reflection card, Denise....just lovely. You ladies do such nice work. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Beautiful cards! The mirror image card is my favorite! It was great hopping with you ladies again! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They are all so wonderful! Lots of different techniques. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. These are amazing! I love the mirror technique ... going to have to try that one!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Gracie and Sue. You always do great work.

    ReplyDelete